Saturday, August 4, 2007

Mom's Cancer


What a difference a week makes! As many of you may have heard by now, we found out on Tuesday, July 31st that my mom in Eugene has breast cancer. She noticed at work that she was feeling ill, and by late Monday or so her left breast appeared to have something that looked like a third-degree burn all over it. She went into urgent care and was immediately diagnosed with breast cancer. She has two tumors in her breast (one the size of a tennis ball). The discoloration is the result of an infection (one doctor basically said that the tumor had started to pierce the skin of the breast). They have been since treating the infection with heavy-duty antibiotics (the initial type was able to actually eat your veins), and they plan to begin chemo treatments by early this coming week (Aug. 5th or 6th, perhaps). The current plan is to have her come home, continue treatments for about twelve weeks, then do a mastectomy on the left breast.

Unfortunately, the cancer has spread to the lymphatic system, to the lungs, and one spot has been seen on the liver. This is aggressive cancer and we are on our knees before the Lord asking for strength, comfort, healing, and that His will be done. Some of you may also know that my dad in Central Oregon has been battling lung cancer since last fall, so keep him in your prayers, too!

As I learn new things in the upcoming weeks, you can return to my blog and get updated. Many of you have my number and can call for her room number at the hospital. You can reach me via email (twblack1@verizon.net) for additional information. Please pray for the following:

1. Continued healing and comfort for my mom.
2. Wisdom and sensitivity as we help her navigate the waters financially (we're learning A LOT about Medicare, insurance supplements, advance directives, etc.).
3. Energy for the final three weeks of my summer off before heading back to school (this will be prime time for helping my mother in the transition).
4. Energy and comfort for my two brothers and my sister as we work together to help Mom through this.
5. Attention to the spiritual dimension ("For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul?"--words of Jesus in Mark 8:36).
6. Wisdom and sensitivity with issues related to Mom's house (our current plan is to sell her house and have her move in with us). The next few weeks will be VERY intense and many important, emotional choices will have to be made.
7. That God's Word would speak encouragement and hope into all of our lives:
"Fear not, for I am with you;
Be not dismayed, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you,
Yes, I will help you,
I will uphold you with My righteous right hand." (Isaiah 41:10)

No comments: